Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
The mission of the CNU Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee is to ensure that the care and use of all live vertebrate animals by the University Community is done according to all appropriate state and federal guidelines, in an ethical and humane manner.
With respect to activities involving animals, the IACUC, as an agent of the University, shall:
- review, at least once every six months, the University’s program for humane care and use of animals, in accordance with all applicable regulations;
- inspect, at least once every six months, all of the University’s animal facilities;
- prepare reports of its evaluations to the Institutional Officer (IO) in charge of the animal care and use program;
- review, and if warranted, investigate concerns involving the care and use of animals at CNU resulting from complaints received;
- make recommendations to the IO regarding any aspect of the University’s animal program, facilities, and training;
- review and approve, require modifications in (to secure approval), or withhold approval of those components of proposed activities related to the care and use of vertebrate animals;
- review and approve, require modifications in (to secure approval), or withhold approval of proposed significant changes regarding animal care and use in ongoing activities.
IACUC is authorized to suspend any activity involving animals.
Proposals should be sent to chair of the IACUC
All use of live vertebrate animals at CNU is overseen by the IACUC according to guidelines for the humane and ethical treatment of animals.
Questions or concerns about the possible mistreatment or misuse of live vertebrates at Christopher Newport University should be directed to the committee either by email (IACUC@cnu.edu), fax (757) 594-7342, or by calling the IACUC Chair, the Office of Sponsored Programs (757) 594-7266, or any IACUC member. Reports may be made anonymously. For after-hours EMERGENCIES, call Campus Police 594-7777. The Provost will ensure that no reprisals will occur as a result of any reports or inquiries.