Entrance Auditions and Requirements
Admission to the Department of Music is highly competitive. If you intend to apply to the music program you must satisfy all entrance requirements:
- Admission to Christopher Newport
- Music Department application
- Entrance audition
- Two recommendations by music educators
- Entrance exams in music theory, ear-training and keyboard
When you come for your audition you will:
- Perform two works or movements of contrasting style for your instrument; composers should present a portfolio of their works, including recordings, if possible
- Be tested on your knowledge of music theory and your sight-singing and keyboard skills
- Participate in an interview if you plan to major in composition or music education
No auditions or CDs will be heard after the final audition date. All scholarships are awarded at the end of the audition cycle. Remember, composers must submit at least one score and a recording, if available.
If you live more than 250 miles away, you may submit a recorded audition, but we strongly recommend a live audition.
Once you have been accepted to the University and the Department of Music, you are automatically eligible for all departmental scholarships.
- February 18, 2017 (department application deadline is February 10, 2017)
- March 18, 2017 (department application deadline is March 10, 2017)
- March 19, 2017 (department application deadline is March 10, 2017)
Music Major for a Day
Music Major for a Day is held on the Friday preceding your chosen audition date. You will have an opportunity to experience “a day in the life” of a music major by attending classes, rehearsals and receiving a private applied music lesson with one of our faculty.
- February 17, 2017
- March 17, 2017
You may also choose to combine your visit with an overnight stay in one of the beautiful residence halls, arranged separately through the Office of Admission.
For questions or for more information, please contact Darren Raybourne at firstname.lastname@example.org or (757) 594-8196.