How do I accept CNU's offer of admission? 

Log on to the Admitted Student System and let us know if you will be joining us.

  • Early Decision students must confirm no later than January 30.
  • Early Action and Regular Decision students must confirm no later than May 1.

Can my admission be deferred to a later semester?   

Requests for deferred admission must be made in writing to the dean of admission.

What is the $500 enrollment deposit?

The required enrollment deposit is mandatory for all incoming freshmen, and is non-refundable. The enrollment deposit confirms your decision to join CNU and reserves your spot in the class of 2019. Enrollment deposits should be paid by credit card through the Admitted Student System. 

What is Setting Sail? When can I sign up? 

Setting Sail, our new student orientation program, is mandatory for all first-year students planning to attend CNU. You may register for Setting Sail in the Admitted Student System. 

I have a conflict with the Setting Sail dates! Am I required to attend Setting Sail?

Yes. Orientation is an important program to help with your transition to CNU. If you have a conflict please contact the Orientation Office at (757) 594-7767 or to request an exemption from the program.

What is Summer Leadership Adventure?

Students selected to the President’s Leadership Program are required to attend Summer Leadership Adventure Program (SLAP). PLP students must register for Setting Sail Session 1 or Session 3 so they will be automatically registered for SLAP. 

For questions regarding the Admitted Student System, please contact our Orientation Office at (757) 594-7767 or by email at The office is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

When should I send my final official high school transcript?  

Your enrollment is contingent upon the successful completion of your current coursework and graduation. Your final official high school transcript must be received in the Office of Admission before the start of classes.

How do I choose my fall semester course preferences?

You will have the opportunity to select your course preferences through the Admitted Student System. This is not your official course schedule, but simply a preferred list. Please note that there is no “wrong” Learning Community or course selection. With the help of your Faculty Core Advisor and the Office of the Registrar, your final schedule will reflect the University’s core requirements and your academic and personal interests. The Office of the Registrar will look at any AP, IB, or dual enrollment credit and award appropriate credit.
Note: You must submit official AP/IB exam scores and official college transcripts to the Office of the Registrar

I have AP/IB/Cambridge/Dual-Enrollment credits from high school. Can I earn academic credit at CNU?

Advanced PlacementInternational Baccalaureate, and University of Cambridge courses are a good way to earn credit for college courses in high school. Please refer to the links above to see what specific test scores are required to earn credit. Dual enrollment courses can also be accepted for college credit and specific credits are awarded through an individual course review by the Office of the Registrar. It is important that you request to have your official exam results and official transcripts sent to the Office of the Registrar. For dual enrollment courses, CNU needs the official transcripts from the college through which you completed the coursework.

I'm a Virginia resident, but I received my aid award letter saying that I'm out of state? I'm a Virginia resident or a dependent of an active duty military member stationed in Virginia. 

You must complete all questions in the Residency and Parent/Legal Guardian Residency sections of the Common Application if you are claiming entitlement to in-state tuition privileges. Supporting documents may be requested and must be received on or before the first day of the semester or term for which you are applying if you wish to be considered for in-state status. This form should be returned as soon as possible in order to receive Virginia grant consideration; however, it must be received before the first day of classes of the term or semester in which you are applying. Additional information may be requested beyond the application. For any questions, contact us at View the Virginia Domicile Guidelines »

How do I find out about scholarships and other financial aid?

CNU offers two types of financial aid: need-based aid and merit scholarships. To apply for need-based financial aid, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our priority deadline to receive your FAFSA information is March 1. CNU's school code for the FAFSA is 003706. Learn more about financial aid >>>

Merit scholarships are available through the Honors Program and the President’s Leadership Program (PLP). Scholarships range in value from $1,000 to $5,000 per year. A separate application is required. If you did not complete the Academics section of the Common Application, you may still apply online.

The priority deadline for Honors and PLP is December 1 but students may apply as late as March 15. Notification varies depending on your decision plan – Early Decision, Early Action or Regular Decision. Merit scholarships are available to incoming freshmen only and interviews are required for the Honors and President’s Leadership Programs. 

How much is tuition, room and board at CNU?

You will find the most current information on tuition, room and board in our Business Office.

Does CNU offer a monthly tuition payment plan?

There is a monthly tuition payment plan here at CNU. This plan allows you to pay your annual tuition and fees in 10 equal monthly installments. Learn more >>>

Who do I contact about the Virginia Prepaid Tuition Program (VPEP)?

The Office of Student Accounts can assist you. You may reach them by phone at (757) 594-7582. If you have questions regarding your VPEP or VEST account, please call VPEP directly at 888-567-0540.

Can freshmen have cars on campus?

Freshmen are permitted to have cars on campus. The cost for a decal for 2014-2015 is $250. The fee for 2015 - 2016 will be announced in April.  

When will I be issued my student ID number, ID card and have access to email?

Access to email and other web-based services are issued during Setting Sail, the two-day summer orientation program.

What type of campus security is offered at CNU?  

CNU has a highly trained police force that is certified through the Police Academy and Virginia Department of Criminal Services and is augmented with security personnel and police aides.

How does CNU let students know if there is an emergency on campus?

The University has a dedicated emergency web site that gives up-to-date information and instructions in case of an emergency. You can sign up to receive text messages and emails when an emergency situation occurs.

Are freshmen required to live on campus?

Yes. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors are required to live on campus, unless you reside with a parent or legal guardian in Grafton, Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, Seaford, Tabb or Yorktown.

Does CNU offer special housing opportunities?

Learning Communities (LCs) are groups of approximately 20 students who take classes together and build strong relationships within the community. Each LC is a set of courses based on an area of academic interest or a theme that sets you on the path toward graduation in four years. Every freshman will select a LC when they register for Setting Sail.

Roommate Preference

Learning Communities (LC) provide a valuable resource for first-year academic success. The positive effect of Learning Communities on academic success is well documented. Therefore, all students will live either with or in close proximity of their LC in the residence halls. Students may preference a roommate, and we will do our best to match them accordingly; however, LCs are our top priority when it comes to room assignments.

When will I receive my housing and roommate assignment? 

You will be notified of your residence hall and roommate assignment in late July.

Does CNU offer any special discounts on computers? 

As a full- or part-time student, you receive educational discounts through special pricing on Macs, Apple software and selected third party software. There will be an Apple representative on site to answer any questions about Apple machines. You will be able to purchase or order the computer you will need. Please visit the the Captains Locker for more information.

Should I purchase a notebook or desktop computer?   

There is no university preference, and it is a matter of personal choice. If you choose to bring a laptop, classrooms are wired for use and students regularly use laptops in class.

Does CNU offer wireless internet access? 

Yes. CNU offers wireless access in all academic buildings. In addition, the David Student Union, Freeman Center and residence hall lobbies are also wireless.