Dr. Kevin Shortsleeve
Ph.D., (D.Phil.), University of Oxford, Keble College
M.A., University of Florida, Gainesville
B.F.A., Emerson College, Boston
Office: McMurran 221
Phone: (757) 594-7284
Areas of Teaching
Areas of Research/Publication
The History of Children's Literature
The carnivalesque / Mikhail Bakhtin
Second World Fantasy
Fairy Tales and Culture
"The Cat in the Hippie: Dr. Seuss and the 60s Rebel.”
The Oxford Handbook of Children's Literature. Lynne Valone and Julia Mickenberg, Eds. Oxford University Press: 2009.
Forthcoming: "Nonsense." Keywords in Children's Literature. Edited by Philip Nel and Lissa Paul. New York University Press, 2009. (Coauthored with Dr. Michael Heyman)
• The Tenth Rasa: An Anthology of Indian Nonsense. Edited by Michael Heyman with Sumanyu Setpathy and Anushka Ravishankar. New York: Penguin Global, 2008."
• The Children's Literature Association Quarterly. Fall 2008, Volume 33, Number 3. pp: 336-338.
• “Isaiah Thomas,” “Yankee Doodle,” “Ernest Thayer,” “Lawson Wood,” “Turkey,” “Children’s Literature Association,” and “Radio Shows for Children.” The Oxford Encyclopedia of Children’s Literature. Jack Zipes, Ed. (forthcoming), New York, Oxford: OUP, 2006.
• “The Wonderful World of the Depression: Disney, Despotism and the 1930s” The Lion and the Unicorn, Johns Hopkins University Press, V.28, N.1, January 2004. pp: 1-30 (Summarized in the online version of The Chronicle of Higher Education, February, 25, 2004).
• “Edward Gorey, Children’s Literature and Nonsense Verse,”Children’s Literature Association Quarterly. V.27, N.1, Spring 2002. pp 27-39.