The Graduate Faculty of the University participates in the governance of the graduate program through a Graduate Council. The Graduate Council consists of the Director of Graduate Studies, the academic deans (all non-voting), and six regular members of the Graduate Faculty - elected to staggered two-year terms by the regular members of the graduate faculty, faculties of their respective college / school and the graduate program coordinators.
Council Members 2013-2014:
Governance documents (pdf)
Admissions, Graduate Assistantships and Degrees Committee Statement of Criteria and Policies
Assessment and Program Review Committee Statement of Criteria and Policy
Graduate Faculty Membership and Governance
Admissions, Graduate Assistantships, and Degrees shall consist of three faculty members (one being a member of the Graduate Council) elected by the Graduate Council. The committee:
- Recommend to the Graduate Council standards for graduate admission
- Review appeals to denial of graduate admission and make appropriate recommendations to the Director of Graduate Studies
- Recommend to the Graduate Council policies with regard to terms, criteria, and procedures for graduate assistantships
- Determine which students have completed the requirements for earned graduate degrees and recommend them to the Graduate Council for certification
- Review student petitions regarding graduate degree requirements and make recommendations thereon to the Graduate Council and the Provost
- Considers petitions of graduate students who have been denied course transfer or substitution credit. The Director of Graduate Studies will render a final decision on the appeal based upon this recommendation.
Graduate Assessment and Program Review Committee shall consist of three faculty members (one being a member of the Graduate Council) elected by the Graduate Council. The committee:
- plans and oversees five year evaluations of all graduate programs;
- conducts studies and systematic reviews of all graduate program offerings;
- makes recommendations to the Graduate Council and the Provost regarding continuation or discontinuation of graduate programs, related resource allocations, and curricular modifications.
Graduate Programs Governance and Administration Committee shall consist of three faculty members (one being a member of the Graduate Council) elected by the Graduate Council. The committee:
- revises the Graduate Faculty Membership and Governance document as directed by the Graduate Council;
- appoints, if it wills, a subcommittee to review and write descriptions for positions of graduate study administration, any recommendations forthcoming being brought before the Graduate Council in March of each academic year;
- reviews yearly the committee structure of the Graduate Council to insure that all responsibilities are delegated and that the structure continues to meet the needs of the graduate program;
- drafts the procedure for graduate faculty consultation regarding the selection of the Director of Graduate Studies.
Graduate Curriculum and Planning Committee shall consist of three faculty members (one being a member of the Graduate Council) elected by the Graduate Council. The committee:
- reviews all graduate courses and recommends to the Graduate Council their acceptance or rejection;
- reviews all proposed graduate programs and recommends to the Graduate Council their acceptance or rejection;
- conducts long-range planning regarding new graduate courses and programs and reports periodically to the Graduate Council.
Graduate Council Nominations Committee shall consist of Graduate Council Members whose terms are completed at the end of the academic year. The committee will provide a slate of nominations for vacant seats or for seats of members whose terms are expiring on the Graduate Council and Graduate Council Committees. The slate will be presented by the March meeting of the Graduate Council. The slate will be voted on by the graduate faculty at a meeting in April.
Faculty Forms (in MS Word)
- Assistantship Contract
- Change of Thesis Credit Grade
- Comprehensive Examination Completion Form MS APCS
- Comprehensive Examination Completion Form MS ENVS
- Defense of Thesis MS APCS
- Defense of Thesis MS ENVS
- Endorsement for Associate Graduate Faculty Status
- Evaluation of Graduate Transfer Credit
- Faculty Request for Thesis LHE Release
- Graduate Change to Existing Course Form
- Graduate Confidentiality Agreement
- Graduate Course Proposal Form
- Graduate Independent Study Form
- Graduate Program Change Form
- Graduate Special Topics Course Form
- MAT PRAXISII Completion Form
- Thesis Non-Thesis Endorsement Change Form
- Transfer of Credits to Graduate Transcript
Student forms are located on the Graduate Studies website.