Apply To Graduate Studies
Graduate Admission Requirements
Degree seeking and non-degree seeking applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Each master's program requires certain minimum scores on a specific entrance exam (GRE or PRAXIS).
- Each master's program requires Recommendation Forms from professors and employers.
- Some master's programs have additional requirements, including the 5 Year Graduate Study Programs.
- Specific admissions requirements are listed on the following Application Checklists:
- Each document submitted for Admission remains the property of Christopher Newport University.
- International applicants have additional requirements. (See the International Applicants tab above.)
The Graduate Program Coordinator for each master's program welcomes your questions concerning admission to their specific program.
Applicants for the Teaching Licensure Only Program should consult with the Office of Teacher of Preparation regarding admission requirements.
(opens new window)
If Virginia is listed as the state in your permanent address, this form will proceed automatically to the Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates.
|Information for CNU Juniors applying to the Bachelor's to Master's 5 Year Program.||We offer Master's Degree programs that can be completed with one additional year beyond the senior year. Students may elect to participate in a 5th year of study to earn their master's degree.|
|Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates||
Only needed if you want to qualify for in-state tuition rates.
|Application Fee (pdf)||Submit electronically with the online application or print and mail to
Christopher Newport University
McMurran Hall 159 B,
1 Avenue of the Arts
Newport News, VA 23606
3 Recommendation Forms:
IF requested by your professor, the Recommendation Forms may be printed and mailed or delivered to academic or employer references.
|Transcript Request (pdf)||Print and mail to previous college(s).|
|Graduate Application for International Students||To obtain the additional documentation you will need, visit International Student Information. An application fee form and
3 Recommendation Forms also are required.
|Application Process Checklists|
To determine if your application materials have been received or to check the status of your application packet, please contact email@example.com
Application Deadlines for Degree-Seeking and Non-Degree Seeking Students
- Applied Physics & Computer Science and Environmental Science: July 15.
- Teaching: Only admits candidates in the spring and summer semesters.
- Applied Physics & Computer Science and Environmental Science: November 1.
- Teaching: October 15.
- All supporting documents must be received by October 15 for MAT applicants to be considered for graduate admission.
- March 15 for MS in Applied Physic & Computer Science and MS in Environment Science
- January 15 for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program
- All supporting documents must be received by January 15 for MAT applicants to be considered for graduate admission.
Bachelor's to Master's 5 Year Graduate Program -- February 1
* The application, application fee and all required documents must be received by the deadline in order for the application packet to be sent to the graduate admission committee for review and possible admission. Otherwise, the packet will need to await review for the next semester.
International Graduate Applicants - Admission Requirements
If you are an International applicant (not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident) applying for admission to graduate studies, please send all of the following to Graduate Admission at CNU:
- Submit the Graduate Application for International Applicants.
- Submit the Application Fee form with fee. (The application fee is non-refundable.)
- Submit all secondary, college and university (undergraduate and graduate) transcripts to World Education Services, Inc. (WES), an official credential evaluator.* Once the review is complete, it must to be sent directly from WES to Graduate Admission at CNU.
- Submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). (To be considered for admission, you must submit a minimum score of 92 for the Internet-based TOEFL, or an equivalent score of 237 on the computer-based TOEFL or an equivalent score of 580 on the paper-based TOEFL.)
- Submit a Financial Resources Statement, if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Submit any official bank statements or affidavits (less than 6 months old and not photocopied) verifying the availability of financial resources to show that you can afford to study in the United States. * *
An interview also may be required. English proficiency in reading, writing and speaking is expected.
* WES prepares an objective, analytical report that describes the credentials and interprets them in terms of their U.S. equivalents.
** As a state-supported institution, CNU currently does not provide financial aid to international students.
US Federal financial aid is not available to foreign citizens, even those currently living in the U.S.
We feel It is important for you to know this information because you will need to provide proof that you can finance your education before you apply. A Certificate of Eligibility (Form 1-20) will not be authorized until a Financial Resources Statement form is completed, supported by bank statements that certify the information and submitted to Graduate Admission.
|Application Deadlines for International Applicants***|
|Deadline||Semester / Term of Entry|
|April 1||Fall Semester ( The MAT program does not permit admission for Fall. )|
|October 1||Spring Semester|
*** The application, application fee and all required documents must be received by the deadline in order for the application packet to be sent to the graduate admission committee for review and possible admission. Otherwise, the packet will need to await review for the next semester.
Once you submit your application, a file is begun in your name to gather all the required documents for the admission selection committee. Your application package will be reviewed only when complete. Please use the Application Checklist associated with the program to which you applied to verify that you have submitted all required materials.
- For the 5 Year programs
- For the Traditional Graduate programs
After the application package is complete (with all required documents), the Office of Graduate Studies reviews and delivers it to the appropriate Graduate Program Coordinator who meets with graduate faculty members in his / her department to make the admission decision.
To check the status of your application or for questions / concerns regarding registration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow 3 weeks for the admission decision and processing.
You will receive the decision by mail. We encourage you to submit your application and documents well in advance of the deadlines listed on the "Application Deadlines" tab.