Advanced Study and Careers
Student enrolled in academic programs sponsored by the department can take advantage of several exciting and memorable study abroad adventures, such as:
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- London, United Kingdom
- Oxford University, United Kingdom
- South Africa
For more information please contact Amanda Work in the Study Abroad Office located in McMurran Hall 108.
Coursework in Leadership and American Studies will provide you a competitive advantage when preparing to enroll in graduate programs. Our students with a Minor in Leadership Studies or a Major / Minor in American Studies consistently gain admittance to top-tier national universities and prestigious graduate degree programs including:
- The College of William and Mary (VA)
- Johns Hopkins University (MD)
- New York Medical College (NY)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (NC)
- University of Chicago (IL)
- University of Maryland (MD)
- The Pennsylvania State University (PA)
- University of Tennessee (TN)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VA)
- American University (Washington, DC)
- George Mason University (VA)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (VA)
- Old Dominion University (VA)
You may be offered the opportunity to enhance your leadership skills through supervised internships in business, government, education and not-for-profit organizations. You will also be encouraged to volunteer in a vast array of service organizations in the Newport News area, or participate in program-sponsored group service.
Recent Leadership and American Studies students have participated in internships at:
For our students who wish to contribute to the advancement of scholarly research, we provide two venues: a peer-reviewed journal and sponsorship at national and international academic conferences.
Founded in 2007 by students, staff and faculty of CNU, the Mid-Atlantic Leadership Review promotes undergraduate leadership development by providing a forum for undergraduate students of leadership studies, professors at the undergraduate level and collegiate staff involved in leadership development in which to publish their scholarship and experiences. The Mid-Atlantic Leadership Review is published twice annually.
With a minor in Leadership Studies or major/minor in American Studies, you are ready to address today's global leadership challenges. Recent graduates of Leadership and American Studies have accepted employment with top regional, national, and international organizations including: