Your browser does not support JavaScript! Anatomy: A Whole New Ballgame - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Isabel Contreras

Anatomy: A Whole New Ballgame

by Isabel Contreras

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Academics

Anatomy and physiology is one of the most difficult and coveted courses at Christopher Newport. For future healthcare professionals, this class is one of the hallmarks of our academic careers. It may also be one of the most terrifying semesters as well. I may only be in my first semester, but I’ve already made some drastic changes to my learning style that may seem extreme to some. Not only is the lecture time consuming, but the lab has been more intense than any course I’ve taken thus far.

Anatomy is one of the first courses pre-healthcare professionals can truly say will be relevant to their career. For the first time, what we learn is directly applicable to our future and is more often than not our true passion. We WANT to dive in and commit the extra time; we WANT to master the content, not just memorize it.

It is no surprise then that anatomy is the one course that has forced my fellow students and I to join together. Creating 28-page study guides with over 17 students contributing is almost unheard of in college. Yet we tossed around my laptop like it was nothing! Exchanging quizlets among 20-plus students and spending over seven additional hours in lab with other struggling students has taught me that, at Christopher Newport, we are all truly in this together.

So to all the future anatomy students out there – get ready. Don’t be afraid to push yourself and meet new people! Embrace the challenge that is anatomy and physiology, and good luck!

Report a problem
Version 3.4