Your browser does not support JavaScript! Three Huge Opportunities - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Travis Rocha

Three Huge Opportunities

by Travis Rocha

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Service, Academics

Christopher Newport offers so many opportunities that you won’t be able to find anywhere else. Here’s a few of our best!

• President’s Leadership Program (PLP): As a member of PLP, I can attest, this program gives you so much more than just a minor in leadership. Frankly, I was shocked at all of the opportunities presented to me as a result of being a part of this program. I’m barely into my second year and I’ve already learned so much about being a great leader, as well as being a great follower. The program emphasizes community, working together as a unit towards a common goal. Outside of academics, I’ve had the privilege to attend speaker events in which I can learn from some of the great leaders of our day. I’ve also volunteered over 30 hours on behalf of the program, engaging with my community and creating important connections with those around me. On top of all that, the program can also give out scholarship money, which can greatly ease the burden of student debt. This is a program unlike any other, and is completely exclusive to Christopher Newport.
  • Luter School of Business: The Luter School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) – a distinction shared by only 5 percent of business schools in the world. Its prestige is a testament to how competitive and distinguished it is. The school focuses on four specific majors: accounting, finance, marketing and management. These programs have been carefully honed to ensure the best possible education for its students. With an emphasis on real-world experience, students are given the tools needed to smoothly transition into the workforce towards financial success after graduation. In addition, the Luter Signature Program offers workshops to aid in assuring you have a competitive advantage over others when vying for a work position. 
  • Honors Program: This program greatly enhances your education by creating connections through interdisciplinary seminars as opposed to the standard liberal learning foundation requirements. As an honors student, you have a much more flexible curriculum that can be molded to your specific educational needs. Similar to PLP, members of the Honors Program are highly encouraged to be active in the community through volunteer work, as well as experiment with a study abroad trip. Scholarship money can also be granted! The coursework can certainly be challenging, but it’s all to prepare you for an incredible life post-graduation.
Report a problem
Version 3.4