Your browser does not support JavaScript! My First Mentoring Visit - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Travis Rocha

My First Mentoring Visit

by Travis Rocha

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Service, Student Life

Earlier in the semester, I wrote about Psi Upsilon’s Friends of Phi Nu program which I was very excited to start being a part of. If you missed that post, Friends of Phi Nu is one of our philanthropy initiatives wherein each brother is assigned a student to mentor at nearby Hidenwood Elementary. It’s a great opportunity for both the brother and the student to form a meaningful and constructive bond.

Last Friday, I had my first visit and finally met my student! He was an absolute blast and it was also a lot of fun to meet his friends and share some laughs during lunch time. It’s definitely been a while since I’ve been in an elementary classroom; I had forgotten how colorful everything was. (They should really think about designing our college classrooms like that.) Anyway, we worked hard on some English assignments and enjoyed a bit of light reading. I was there for a good few hours, but they flew by. In fact, I was so surprised when the bell rang I wasn’t sure if that was really for our dismissal or not!

This opportunity is definitely the start of what I hope will be a very positive and significant experience. It was such a joy to be a part of the class for the day and I hope my student had as much fun as I did. I’m looking forward to going back on a weekly basis and developing our relationship further. I can’t wait!

Report a problem
Version 3.4