Your browser does not support JavaScript! 100 Days ’til the Tassel Turns - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Brooklyn Carroll

100 Days ’til the Tassel Turns

by Brooklyn Carroll

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Student Life

The countdown is on ‘til I am seated on the Great Lawn facing the beautiful Christopher Newport Hall, moments away from graduation. It’s almost time for me to drop the penny I received after signing the honor code my freshman year, into the Geese Fountain and ring the clock tower bell. It’s almost time to shake President Paul Trible’s hand, recieve my diploma and turn my tassel over, as I am progressing from student to graduate. On May 11, 2019, I will become a proud graduate of Christopher Newport University.

To celebrate our achievements thus far at Christopher Newport as we near graduation in a few short months, the Christopher Newport Student Alumni Society and the Office of Alumni Relations threw a celebration for the Class of 2019. The event was Mardi Gras-themed and held in the DSU Ballroom. A great dessert bar with tons of chocolate treats (a personal weakness of mine) greeted my roommates and I as we walked through the door. There was ice cream at the dessert bar, too!  Everyone of age also received a complimentary beverage that was really tasty. The ballroom itself was filled with Mardi Gras decorations and the wonderful sound of the live band playing their music as students danced the night away.

It is funny because I was honestly expecting the dessert bar to be the highlight of the event, the part of the night that I was looking most forward too, but it was actually spending the night with my class that was very special. It was great seeing friendly faces surrounding me and having the opportunity to catch up with all of my friends that I have known since freshman year at Christopher Newport. The 100 Days ‘til the Tassel Turns was definitely a celebration to remember!

Report a problem
Version 3.4