Your browser does not support JavaScript! Looking Back on Summer - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Eddie Sonnie

Looking Back on Summer

by Eddie Sonnie

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Student Life

This past summer I got to enjoy my second experience as a summer Resident and Desk Assistant (RDA) at Christopher Newport, and it was really enjoyable. I love living on campus and working with residence life, and getting the opportunity to spend my entire summer doing two things I love makes for a great time. Summer RDAs function both as front desk assistants and as RAs, so we get a lot of useful experience for our future, improving both our interpersonal and administrative skills. Since the job was only part-time, I also got the opportunity to have another off-campus job, and also spend a lot of time with my friends, too!

Campus is also very different during the summer compared to during the year. Over the summer, campus is a lot less populated, so there’s a lot of opportunity to just take a breath and enjoy the beauty of our campus, but it does get lonely sometimes. There are still people around, but they’re all busy doing research or working. That’s why I was so glad to have my summer RDA staff to keep me company. I grew to love those people so much. 

Although the summer was great, I am so incredibly glad to be back in classes. Having a busy schedule makes me happy. I love having things to do and people to help. Because of my experience with residence life over the summer, I feel so much more prepared to tackle this year as an RA, and I feel so much more closely connected with our campus. Here’s to a great year!

Report a problem
Version 3.4