Accounting Majors to Provide Free Tax Services
The free service is geared toward low-to-moderate income taxpayers, and returns will be prepared by students certified by the IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program.
Christopher Newport University's Luter School of Business students will prepare and e-file tax returns this year. The free service is geared toward low-to-moderate income taxpayers, and returns will be prepared by accounting majors certified by the IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program.
The student volunteers are trained and certified to prepare basic tax returns, including:
- Forms 1040
- Schedule A and B
- Simple Schedule D forms
- Forms related to:
- Earned Income Credit
- Child Credit
- Dependent Care Credit
- Additional Child Credit
- Credit for the Elderly and Disabled
- Education Credit
- Premium Tax Credit
The service will be available on a first-come, first-served basis beginning Tuesday, February 7, in Luter Hall (first floor). Hours include Tuesdays and Fridays from noon to 5 p.m. Services will not be available March 7 and 10. Taxpayers should arrive early enough for students to complete returns by 5 p.m. Students will also assist with taxes on Saturday, February 25, from noon to 4 p.m.
Taxpayers interested in having their taxes filed free-of-charge should bring the following documents:
- Photo identification
- Social Security cards for taxpayers and dependents
- Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- Current year's tax forms (if you have received a packet)
- Wage and earning statement(s), such as form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's tax returns (if available)
- If using direct deposit, bank routing numbers and account numbers
- Other relevant information about income and expenses, such as total paid for day care and day care provider's tax identification number
Both spouses must be present to sign an electronically filed married joint tax return. For more information, call (757) 594-7144.