- Tue, 11 Mar 2014My Case is Altered: A Panel Discussion - Trible Library 209 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Tue, 11 Mar 2014Dominion Power: Career Panel Discussion - Luter Hall 121 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM
- Wed, 12 Mar 2014A Career in the Arts: Q&A with Struan Leslie - Ferguson Center Rehearsal Hall 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Thu, 20 Mar 2014TheaterCNU Presents: A Delicate Balance & Dance Concert - Ferguson Center, Music & Theater Hall 7:00 PM
- Fri, 21 Mar 2014TheaterCNU Presents: A Delicate Balance & Dance Concert - Ferguson Center, Music & Theater Hall 7:00 PM
News & Events
CNU Students, Newport News Teens Work Together for 2010 Day of Service
((Newport News, VA)) -
More than 350 Christopher Newport University students and faculty will partner with local Newport News teens to volunteer their time and energy on August 19th for CNU’s annual Day of Service. This year, the faculty and students will volunteer at over 35 agencies including Newport News public schools and youth-serving organizations.
Organized by the Center for Service Learning and Social Entrepreneurship (CSLSE), the Day of Service represents the first step in a four-year commitment by CNU students to volunteer throughout their college years.
Incoming CNU students from the President’s Leadership Program (PLP) will work side-by-side with local high school students from the Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC); a local nonprofit that provides young people with volunteer opportunities. “Each year during our Day of Service, we like to partner with another community agency for the overall benefit of Newport News,” noted Dr. Roberta Rosenberg, Director of CSLSE. “Since our focus this year is youth, we thought that partnering with the YVC would be a natural collaboration.”
From 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., 350 student volunteers and 43 CNU professors will complete a number of important projects in Newport News and the Peninsula including:
• A large mural in Carver Elementary School in partnership with Rey Ramirez’ music project "Soundscapes." CNU art instructor Betty Anglin will direct the project.
• The upgrading of the filing system at the Lackey Free Clinic by CNU Pre-Med scholars under the leadership of Biology Professor Dr. Harry Grau
• Assistance at the Refugee and Immigration Services, led by Professor of Government, Dr. Tina Reuter
• Back to school literacy assistance at C. Waldo Scott Center for HOPE, led by English Professor Dr. Rebecca Wheeler
• A collaboration with the YMCA "Bright Beginnings" and Target stores, to provide local children with back to school clothing and supplies.
The 2010 Day of Service is co-sponsored through the generous support of Ferguson Enterprises, 1st Advantage Credit Union, Virginia Educators Credit Union, Printing Wright, and Virginia Transfer and Storage.
For a complete list of all the volunteer activities in the Day of Service, please visit the Center’s website: http://service.cnu.edu or contact Brad Brewer, the Center’s Assistant Director, at (757) 594-7233 or email@example.com.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small classes as well as an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor. For more information about CNU and its programs, please visit www.cnu.edu.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.