- Mon, 01 Sep 2014Labor Day: Classes will meet - CNU Campus All day event
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cross-Cultural Leadership in Europe - David Student Union, Washington Room 12:30 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cuba for Geography or Dance - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Panel Discusson: "Lessons from Ferguson: Race, Law Enforcement and the Potential Abuse of Power" - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 4:30 PM
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014Spring Semester 2015: CNU in Glasgow Scotland - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
News & Events
Dr. Cartwright Keynote Speaker
(Newport News, Va.) - Dr. Kelly Cartwright, Associate Professor of Psychology at Christopher Newport University will serve as keynote speaker at the Leading in Reading Conference on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at The Virginia Tech Roanoke Center. The conference is sponsored by Virginia Tech and Radford University through the Improving Teacher Quality Grant.
Designed for principals in Virginia, this one-day opportunity will offer specific information about school wide literacy assessment, allocation of staff, organizing and selecting materials, planning effective professional development, and evaluating literacy instruction. The goal of this conference is to support principals in high needs schools in improving reading achievement for their students.
Dr. Cartwright is an expert on reading comprehension, children's thinking, and the development of literacy processes. She is author of Word Callers: Small Group and One-On-One Interventions When Children Read But Don't Understand (2010, forthcoming, Heinemann) and editor of Literacy Processes: Cognitive Flexibility in Learning and Teaching (2008, Guilford), which was nominated for the Ed Fry book award in 2008. She has published articles in The Reading Teacher, the Journal of Educational Psychology, the Journal of Literacy Research, the Journal of Child Language, and the Journal of Cognition and Development; and she consults regularly with teachers and reading specialists in public and private schools around the country.
For more information about the Leading in Reading conference or to register contact Heidi Anne Mesmer at (540) 231-8343 or visit www.cpe.vt.edu/leadread.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.