- Sun, 08 Dec 2013University Reading / Study Day - CNU Campus
- Sun, 08 Dec 2013Holiday Happening - Ferguson Center, Concert Hall 4:00 PM
- Mon, 09 Dec 2013Final Exams - CNU Campus All day event
- Tue, 10 Dec 2013Final Exams - CNU Campus All day event
- Wed, 11 Dec 2013University Reading / Study Day - CNU Campus
News & Events
Annual Workshop on Intelligence and National Security
Maritime and Port Security: Addressing 21st Century Challenges
A joint workshop co-sponsored by: Christopher Newport University’s Center for American Studies and The Norman Forde Hampton Roads Chapter of the Association for Intelligence Officers
(Newport News, VA) - Christopher Newport University’s Center for American Studies and The Norman Forde Hampton Roads Chapter of the Association for Intelligence Officers will present the annual workshop on intelligence and national security on Thursday, October 28, 2010, in CNU’s David Student Union Ballroom. “Maritime and Port Security: Addressing 21st Century Challenges” is an all-day workshop featuring four speaker sessions on topics relating to the security of U.S. strategic interests at sea and in ports.
Panel sessions are free and open to the public. The keynote luncheon requires a $35 advance ticket purchase. To register for the luncheon and for additional details, visit: cas.cnu.edu/portsecurity.htm
9:30-9:35 Opening Comments
- Dr. Nathan E. Busch, Co-Director of the Center for American Studies, CNU
9:35-10:45 Session 1: Maritime Security and U.S. Strategic Interests
- Rear Admiral (ret) Ben Wachendorf, former Chief of Staff, JFCOM, and Director of Navy Strategy and Policy, U.S. Navy
11:00-12:20 Session 2: Combating Piracy and Maritime Terrorism
- Scott Alwine, Prevailance Antiterrorism Consultant to Commander, Naval Air Forces Atlantic
- LT Mark Barnes, Counter-piracy Support to Plans, Navy Information Operations Command, U.S. Navy
- Owen Doherty, Director, Office of Security, Maritime Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation
12:30-2:00 Business Executives for National Security Luncheon: Port Security and Homeland Security
- Keynote Speaker: Admiral James Loy, former Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard and Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security, (Requires advance ticket purchase.)
2:30-3:45 Session 3: Port Security
- Rear Admiral Dean Lee, Commander, 5th District, U.S. Coast Guard
- Ted Langhoff, Director of Cargo and Port Security Practice, Unisys Federal Systems
4:00-5:15 Session 4: Technological Innovation and Port Security
- Michael Zirkle, Manager of Business Strategy, U.S. Government, Verizon Wireless
- Jeffrey Schweitzer, Principal Architect for Public Sector Solutions, Verizon Business
- Bob Mckisson, President, Hampton Roads Chapter of the Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.