News & Events
CNU Accounting Majors Provide Free Tax Services to Public
(Newport News, Va.) - Student volunteers from Christopher Newport University's Joseph W. Luter, III School of Business will prepare and e-file tax returns at no charge this year. This public service begins Wednesday, February 2, 2011, and is available from 1p.m.-7 p.m. on Wednesdays, and from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on the following Saturdays: February 12 and 26, March 12 and 19, and April 9. (Services are not available during CNU Spring Break: March 2 and 5). Services are offered on the 3rd floor of the SunTrust Building on the CNU campus. No appointment is necessary. This free service is geared toward taxpayers with low to moderate incomes.
Tax services are provided by CNU's accounting majors, who are volunteer tax preparers for the I.R.S.-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. The student volunteers are trained and certified to prepare basic tax returns, including: Forms 1040; Schedule A and B; simple Schedule D forms; and forms related to the Earned Income Credit, Child Credit, Dependent Care Credit, Additional Child Credit, Credit for the Elderly and Disabled, and the Education Credit.
Taxpayers interested in having their taxes filed for free should bring the following documents:
- Photo identification
- Social Security cards for taxpayers and dependents
- Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- Current year's tax forms (if you have received a packet)
- Wage and earning statement(s), such as form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's tax returns (if available)
- If using direct deposit, bank routing numbers and account numbers
- Other relevant information about income and expenses, such as total paid for day care and day-care provider's identifying number
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For additional information, call (757) 594-7068.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.