- Thu, 02 Oct 2014Study Abroad 101 - Trible Library 111A 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Fri, 03 Oct 2014Pope Chapel Chamber Music Series, featuring organist Mary Sellen - Pope Chapel 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- Mon, 06 Oct 2014The New Wave Of Ibero American Cinema Presents: "The Return" ("El Regreso") - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 7:00 PM
- Wed, 08 Oct 2014BB&T Colloquium Series on Capitalism - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Thu, 09 Oct 2014Study Abroad 101 - Trible Library 111A 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
News & Events
Gender & Silence: Caster Semenya and Unfixed Ambiguity
(Newport News, Va.) - Christopher Newport University’s Dean Parks Colloquium Series will host a lecture titled “Gender and Silence: Caster Semenya and Unfixed Ambiguity” on Monday, March 14, at 7:30 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Music & Theatre Hall. The event is free and open to the public. No reservation is required.
Guest speaker Dr. John M. Sloop, professor of communication studies and senior associate dean of Vanderbilt University’s College of Arts and Science will share the public arguments surrounding the Semenya case through the lens of gender performativity and rhetorics of silence.
In 2009, controversy erupted when the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF ) investigated the gender of Caster Semenya, a South African runner. Remaining silent on the test results, the IAAF allowed her to compete again in 2010. The world wondered, “Is Semenya male or female? In what race should she compete?” Conflicting assumptions about gender filled international discourse. Is gender fixed in the body or fluid? How did silence about her gender translate into a statement about her gender?
The lecture is free and open to the public. No reservation is required.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.