- Mon, 01 Sep 2014Labor Day: Classes will meet - CNU Campus All day event
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cross-Cultural Leadership in Europe - David Student Union, Washington Room 12:30 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cuba for Geography or Dance - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Panel Discusson: "Lessons from Ferguson: Race, Law Enforcement and the Potential Abuse of Power" - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 4:30 PM
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014Spring Semester 2015: CNU in Glasgow Scotland - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
News & Events
CNU Professor Dr. Brian Puaca Receives Prestigious New Scholar's Book Award
(Newport News, Va.) - CNU history professor Dr. Brian Puaca's book, Learning Democracy: Education Reform in West Germany, 1945-1965, has received the 2011 New Scholar's Book Award from the American Education Research Association (AERA). The award is given biennially by Division F to the best first book on the history of education. Dr. Puaca traveled to New Orleans in April to attend the AERA annual conference and accept the prestigious award.
The New Scholar’s Book Award committee members commented that Learning Democracy “speaks to the power of education for the creation of a national identity and political ideology.” They noted its significance for Americanists as well as Europeanists, as the first “ground-level examination in any language of the U.S. educational reconstruction of West Germany written in more than twenty years.” In addition, the committee found the book persuasive in reminding readers “that education is much more than the explicit curriculum.”
The American Educational Research Association (AERA), founded in 1916, is concerned with improving the educational process by encouraging scholarly inquiry related to education and evaluation and by promoting the dissemination and practical application of research results.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.