- Thu, 02 Oct 2014Study Abroad 101 - Trible Library 111A 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Fri, 03 Oct 2014Pope Chapel Chamber Music Series, featuring organist Mary Sellen - Pope Chapel 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- Mon, 06 Oct 2014The New Wave Of Ibero American Cinema Presents: "The Return" ("El Regreso") - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 7:00 PM
- Wed, 08 Oct 2014BB&T Colloquium Series on Capitalism - David Student Union, Ballroom 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Thu, 09 Oct 2014Study Abroad 101 - Trible Library 111A 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
News & Events
CNU Accounting Majors Provide Free Tax Services to Public
(Newport News, Va.) -
Christopher Newport University's Joseph W. Luter III School of Business students will prepare and e-file tax returns free-of-charge this year. The service is geared toward taxpayers with low to moderate incomes, and will be prepared by accounting majors certified by the IRS - sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. The student volunteers are trained to prepare the following types of returns: Forms 1040; Schedule A and B; simple Schedule D forms; and forms related to the Earned Income Credit, Child Credit, Dependent Care Credit, Additional Child Credit, Credit for the Elderly and Disabled, and the Education Credit.
The service will be available beginning Monday, Feb. 6, in room 403 of the SunTrust building (located on the CNU campus). Hours include Mondays from 10:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., and Tuesdays from noon to 6 p.m. Services will not be available during spring break, Mar. 5-6. Taxpayers should arrive early enough for students to complete returns by 6:30 p.m. on Mondays and by 6 p.m. on Tuesdays.
Required documents include:
- Photo identification
- Social Security cards for taxpayers and dependents
- Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- Current year's tax forms (if you have received a packet)
- Wage and earning statement(s), such as form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's tax returns (if available)
- If using direct deposit, bank routing numbers and account numbers
- Other relevant information about income and expenses, such as total paid for day care and day care provider's identifying number
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present. For additional information, call (757) 594-7144.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.