- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cross-Cultural Leadership in Europe - David Student Union, Washington Room 12:30 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cuba for Geography or Dance - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Panel Discusson: "Lessons from Ferguson: Race, Law Enforcement and the Potential Abuse of Power" - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 4:30 PM
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014Spring Semester 2015: CNU in Glasgow Scotland - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Asian Studies in China - David Student Union, Monroe Room 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
News & Events
Dean William Parks Colloquia to Host Lecture ‘Sustainable Abundance’
(Newport News, Va.) -
Christopher Newport University’s Dean William Parks Colloquia will host a lecture titled “Sustainable Abundance” on Tuesday, February 11, 2014, at 4:30 p.m., featuring guest speaker Joel Salatin, owner of Polyface Farms. The lecture will take place in the David Student Union Ballroom, and is free and open to the public. No reservation is required.
Salatin is a prolific author, sought-after speaker and advocate for sustainable family farming. Punctuating his message with mischievous humor, he challenges audiences to embrace integrated food systems, and believes that "a fundamentally solar-driven, participatory, historically-normal, localized foodscape can bless the whole world with sustainable abundance." Salatin is convinced that after his “performance,” you'll never look at farmland or policy solutions the same way. In fact, you'll be able to heal the land one bite at a time. His most recent books include The Sheer Ecstasy of Being a Lunatic Farmer and Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World.
Polyface Farms was featured in the 2008 film, "Food, Inc." and in Michael Pollan’s best-selling The Omnivore’s Dilemma. The farm has also been featured in National Geographic, Smithsonian magazine, Gourmet magazine and countless radio, television and print media.
For additional information regarding this lecture, contact Dr. Scott Pollard.
Click image for full PDF.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.