- Thu, 23 Oct 2014Study Abroad 101 - Trible Library 111A 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014Homecoming 2014 - CNU Campus
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014Trible Library Chamber Music Series, CNU Choirs - The Rotunda 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014German Oktoberfest Concert - David Student Union, The Plaza 12:30 PM to 1:00 PM
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014The Dept. of Theater & Dance presents: Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike - Ferguson Center, Music & Theater Hall 8:00 PM
News & Events
CNU Accounting Majors Provide Free Tax Services to Public
(Newport News, Va.) -
Christopher Newport University's Luter School of Business students will prepare and e-file tax returns free-of-charge this year. The service is geared toward low-to-moderate income taxpayers, and returns will be prepared by accounting majors certified by the IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. The student volunteers are trained to prepare Form 1040 returns and the following schedules and forms: Schedule A, B and simple Schedule D, and forms related to the Earned Income Credit, Child Credit, Dependent Care Credit, Additional Child Credit, Credit for the Elderly and Disabled, and the Education Credit.
The service will be available beginning Tuesday, Feb. 5, in rooms 401 and 405 of the SunTrust building (located on the CNU campus). Hours include Tuesdays from noon to 6 p.m., and Wednesdays from noon to 4 p.m. Services will not be available Feb. 27, or Mar. 5-6. Taxpayers should arrive early enough for students to complete returns by 6 p.m. on Tuesdays and by 4 p.m. on Wednesdays.
Required documents include:
- Photo identification
- Social Security cards for taxpayers and dependents
- Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- Current year's tax forms (if you have received a packet)
- Wage and earning statement(s), such as form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's tax returns (if available)
- If using direct deposit, bank routing numbers and account numbers
- Other relevant information about income and expenses, such as total paid for day care and day care provider's tax identification number
For married couples who wish to file their return electronically, both spouses must be present.
For additional information, call (757) 594-7144.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.