- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cross-Cultural Leadership in Europe - David Student Union, Washington Room 12:30 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Cuba for Geography or Dance - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014Panel Discusson: "Lessons from Ferguson: Race, Law Enforcement and the Potential Abuse of Power" - Freeman Center, Gaines Theatre 4:30 PM
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014Spring Semester 2015: CNU in Glasgow Scotland - David Student Union, Jefferson Room 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014Study Abroad: Asian Studies in China - David Student Union, Monroe Room 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
News & Events
33rd Annual Writers Conference
(Newport News, Va.) - Christopher Newport University’s Lifelong Learning Society (LLS) will present its 33rd Annual Writers Conference “Empowerment Through Literacy” February 28 - March 1, 2014. The two-day event will take place in The Freeman Center, and is designed to improve writing skills and bring together both published and aspiring authors.
This year’s keynote speakers are Dr. Hollis Pruitt, coordinator of Thomas Nelson Community College’s creative writing classes. His poems and essays have appeared in Virginia Adversaria, Windhover: A Journal of Christian Literature, The Brass Check and The Handbook of the Elves; and award-winning Southern writer Sharyn McCrumb, best known for her Appalachian Ballad novels, including The New York Times best-sellers The Ballad of Frankie Silver, She Walks These Hills and St. Dale. In 2008, the Library of Virginia named McCrumb a Virginia Woman of History for Achievement in Literature.
Conference workshops will include “Performance-Driven Social Networking”; “HAIKU”; “10 Tips for Stronger Fiction”; “What Poets Know that Novelists Don’t”; “Playing With Time”; “Writing Elegies About Loved Ones”; “Beginning Your YA Novel”; “Signs of Sacred Spaces” and “Places I Have Known.”
The conference will also feature two panel discussions exploring playwriting and empowering youth through literacy, as well as one-on-one sessions to help define, refine and develop writing skills.
For additional information and to register, visit writers.cnu.edu.
The LifeLong Learning Society of Christopher Newport University is a membership organization dedicated to people of retirement age who seek opportunities for learning in an environment of sharing and fellowship. To request a catalog or for more information, contact the LLS at (757) 269-4368.
A four-year public university in Newport News, Virginia, Christopher Newport University enrolls 5,000 students in rigorous academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Social Sciences, including the Luter School of Business. CNU offers great teaching and small class sizes with an emphasis on leadership, civic engagement and honor.
Director of Public Relations
Click the "Look for more" link in each calendar to view all dates.
* Instructors may begin entering midterm grades via CNU Live.
** Deadline for instructors to enter midterm grades.
*** Instructors may begin entering final grades via CNU Live.
**** Deadline for instructors to enter final grades.
+ Final exam room conflicts should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.