- PhD, Florida State University
- MA, University of South Florida
- BM, Christopher Newport University
Office: McMurran 115
Phone: (757) 594-8795
Areas of Specialization:
American religious history, historical methods, African-American religious history, American new religious movements, religious studies theory and methods, comparative religions, Judaism and Christianity, contemporary Gnosticism
- Religion in America: A Cultural Approach. Rowman and Littlefield Publishing, 2013.
- Antiquity and Social Reform: Religious Experience in the Unification Church, Feminist Wicca and the Nation of Yahweh. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010.
Articles, Reviews, and Book Chapters:
- “The Religious Idealism behind FDR’s New Deal.” Faith, Culture and Politics in Contemporary America. Peter Lang Publishers, forthcoming.
- “The Intersection of New Religious Movements and Terrorism: A Complicated Picture.” In The Root of All Evil? Religious Perspectives on Terrorism, edited by Lori J. Underwood, 114-134. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2013.
- DeChant, Dell. “Spiritual Treatment: Christian Science and Religious Science” and “Popular Religious Idealism and Contemporary Gnosticism.” The Brill Handbook on Popular Religious Idealism: Christian Science and New Thought. Spring 2012.
- “New Thought’s Influence on the American Ideal of Success.” Nova Religio. December 2012.
- DeChant, Dell. “Annotated Bibliography: A Selection of Books, Monographs and Essays on Contemporary Gnosticism.” Alternative Spirituality and Religion Review. Fall 2011.
- Prudhomme, Joseph“Slavery in America: An Institution Defined by Faith.” Faith and Politics in America: From Jamestown to the Civil War. Peter Lang Publishers, 2010.
- “The Good Wife: The Religious Experience of Women in Scientology.” Women and New and Africana Religions. Ed. Darnise Martin, Cheryl Kirk-Douglas, Lillian Ashcraft-Eason and Karen Torjesen. Santa Barbara, CA: Prager Press/ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2010.
- “Devotion,” “Miracles,” and “Shamanism.” Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices. Ed. J. Gordon Melton and Martin Baumann. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio Publishing, 2009/2010.
- Rev. of Goddess as Nature: Towards a Philosophical Thealogy, by Paul Reid-Brown. Ashgate Publishing, 2007. Written for Nova Religio, May 2009.
- Rev. of American Shamans: Journeys with Traditional Healers, by Jack Montgomery. Busca, Inc. 2008. Written for Nova Religio, April 2009.
- Rev. of Storied Selves: Shaping Identity in Feminist Witchcraft, by Chris Klassen. Lexington Books, 2008. Written for Nova Religio, March 2009.
- “Rastafarianism.” Introduction to new and alternative religions in America. Ed. Eugene V. Gallagher and William M. Ashcraft. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 2006.
- “Miracles.” Encyclopedia of Religion, Communication, and Media. Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing Group, 2006.
- DeChant, Dell. “Contemporary Gnosticism: Annotated Bibliography.” Journal for the Society for the Study of Metaphysical Religion. Fall 2003.
- “Possession and Trance” and “Esotericism and Exotericism.” The Handbook for the Study of Religion. Davies Group Publishers, August 2003.
- “Coptic Christianity.” Encyclopedia of Religious Freedom. Routledge Publishers, 2003.
- “Channeling.” The 21st Century Encyclopedia of the World’s Religions. Ed. J. Gordon Melton. Santa Barbara, CA: Institute for the Study of American Religion, September 2002.
- “A Course in Miracles.” Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices. Ed. J. Gordon Melton and Martin Baumann. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio Publishing, 2002.
- “A Course in Miracles” and “Church Universal and Triumphant.” Encyclopedia of Prayer. Ed. James R. Lewis. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, not yet published, submitted December 2001.
- Rev. of The New Age Movement: The Celebration of the Self and The Sacralization of Modernity, by Paul Heelas. Novo Religio: The Journal of Alternative and Emergent Religions, April 2000.