- PhD, Saint Louis University
- MA, Baylor University
- BA, Rutgers University
Professional Profile: http://sites.google.com/a/cnu.
Office: McMurran 123
Phone: (757) 594-7715
Areas of Specialization:
Medieval philosophy, ethics, philosophy of religion, history of philosophy, popular culture and philosophy
- The Prudence of Love: How Possessing the Virtue of Love Benefits the Lover, (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield/Lexington Books, 2010). Soft cover reprint, 2010.
Journal Articles & Book Chapters:
- “A Traditional Christian Perspective on Terrorism:Why Martyrs, Pacifists, and Just War Theorists Abhor Terrorism.” Religious Responses to Terrorism. Ed. Lori Underwood, 13-30. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2013.
- "Impassibility and Divine Love." in Models of God and Other Ultimate Realities. Ed. Jeanine Diller and Asa Kasher. Forthcoming from Springer.
- “Aristotle’s Argument for Perfectionism.” Just the Arguments: 100 of the Most Important Arguments in Western Philosophy. Ed. Michael Bruce and Steven Barbone. Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- “Anthropocentrism and the Medieval Problem of Religious Language.” in Anthropocentrism: Humans, Animals, Environments. Ed. Rob Boddice. Boston: Brill, 2011.
- “Robert Solomon’s Rejection of Aristotelian Virtue: Is the Passion of Erotic Love Independent of Rationality.” Essays in Philosophy 12 (2011).
- “Reconciling Familial Love and Impartial Morality: an Examination of David Velleman’s Efforts and Some Alternative Strategies.” The Ethics of the Family. Ed. Stephen Scales. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2010.
- “John Hick’s Soul-Making Theodicy and the Virtue of Love.” Journal of Philosophical Research 34 (2009): 329-343.
- Rev. of Emotions, Values, and the Law, by John Deigh. The Review of Metaphysics 63 (2009): 182-184.
- “Michael Slote’s Rejection of Neo-Aristotelian Ethics.” Journal of Value Inquiry 42 (2008): 507-518.
Popular Culture and Philosophy Book Chapters:
- “Winter is Coming! The Bleak Search for Happiness in Westeros.” Game of Thrones and Philosophy. Ed. Henry Jacoby. Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- “Adama’s True Lie: Earth and the Problem of Knowledge.” Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy. Ed. Jason T. Eberl. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2008. Reprinted in Introducing Philosophy through Pop Culture: From Socrates to South Park, from Hume to House. Ed. William Irwin. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- “Mindreading and Morality.” Twilight and Philosophy. Ed. Rebecca Housel and Jeremy Wisnewski. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
- "How To Resolve the Partiality-Impartiality Puzzle Using a Love Centered Account of Virtue Ethics." 7th Annual International Conference on Philosophy. Athens Institute For Education and Research. Athens, Greece. 29 May 2012. Conference Presentation.
- “Impassibility and Divine Love.” The American Academy of Religion Meeting. October 2010. Conference Presentation.
- “An Underappreciated Benefit of the Virtue of Love: Final Ends.” The American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. December 2008. Conference Presentation.
- “Michael Slote’s Unjustified Rejection of Neo-Aristotelian Ethics.” The American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Meeting. 3-8 April 2007. Conference Presentation.
- "John Hick’s Soul Making Theodicy and the Virtue of Love.” The American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. 27-30 December 2006. Conference Presentation.