- DTheol, Universität Basel
- STM, ThD, Dallas Theological Seminary
- MDiv, Columbia Graduate School
- BS, Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Office: McMurran 113
Phone: (757) 594-7272
Areas of Specialization:
Christian studies, church/state relations
- The Dark Side of Church/State Separation: The French Revolution, Nazi Germany, and International Communism. New Brunswick and London: Transaction Publishers, 2013.
- The Egalitarian Spirit of Christianity: The Sacred Roots of American and British Government. New Brunswick and London: Transaction Publishers, 2009.
- The Separation of Church and State: Has America Lost Its Moral Compass? Lafayette: Huntington House Publishers, 2001.
- The Catholic Roots of the Protestant Gospel: Encounter between the Middle Ages and the Reformation. Leiden, New York, and Köln: E. J. Brill, 1995.
- Calvinism, Federalism, and Scholasticism: A Study of the Reformed Doctrine of Covenant. Bern, Frankfurt am Main, New York, and Paris: Peter Lang, 1988.
Articles, Reviews, and Book Chapters:
- “Erecting the Wall: The French Enlightenment, the National Liberal League, the ACLU, and the United States Supreme Court.” Faith and Politics in America: From the Civil War to the Present. Peter Lang, forthcoming.
- “The Nazis and the German Metaphysical Tradition of Voluntarism.” The Review of Metaphysics (2012).
- ”Jefferson’s Opposition to the Judeo-Christian Tradition.” Faith and Politics in America: From Jamestown to the Civil War. Peter Lang, 2010.
- “The Sacred Roots of Capitalism: A Theological Analysis of Weber’s famous Thesis.” Festschrift for Martin Anton Schmidt. Theologische Zeitschrift, 2009.
- “Preface.” Scottish Hermeneutic Method from John Knox to the Early Twentieth Century: From Christian to Secular. Mellon Press, 2004.
- “Dead Hookers and Las Vegas: A response to the critics of my article and the war in Iraq.” Political Theology (2004).
- “Saddam, Hussein, Islam, and Just War Theory: The Case for a Pre-emptive Strike.” Political Theology (2003).
- "Imputatio Iustitiae: Its Origin in Melanchthon, Its Opposition in Osiander." Theologische Zeitschrift (1994).
- Rev. of Fountainhead of Federalism, by McCoy and Baker. Sixteenth Century Journal 1994.
- "Fides aut Foedus: Zurich and Wittenberg in Collision over the Gospel." Sixteenth Century Journal (1992).
- "Calvinism, Augustinianism, and the Will of God." Theologische Zeitschrift (1992).
- "Universal Grace and Amyraldianism." Westminster Theological Journal (1989).
- "The Extent of the Atonement and the Synod of Dort." Westminster Theological Journal (1989).
- Rev. of Christian Faith, by Hendrikus Berhof. Grace Theological Journal 1981.