Honors Faculty, Asian Studies Faculty
- PhD, University of California at Los Angeles
- BA, University of California at Irvine
Office: McMurran 109
Phone: (757) 594-7931
Areas of Specialization:
Islam, theologies of religious pluralism, comparative theology
- Strangers in This World: Multi-Religious Reflections on Immigration, co-editor. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. Under contract.
- Inter-Faith Liberation Theology, co-editor. Work in progress.
- Themes in Islamic Theology. New York: Peter Lang Publishing. Under contract.
- Modern Intellectual Readings of the Kharijites. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2008.
Articles and Book Chapters:
- “Islamic Immigration Theology: The Doctrine of Hijra,” in Strangers in This World: Multi-Religious Reflections on Immigration, Allen J. Jorgenson, Alexander Y. Hwang, and Hussam S. Timani, eds. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. Under contract.
- "Christian-Muslim Liberation Theology: Confessing the Trinity and Tawhid in a Globalized Era.” co-authored with Ben Hardman, in Inter-Faith Liberation Theology, Claudio Carvalhaes, Jeannine Hill Fletcher, Jeffrey D. Long, Deanna A. Thompson, and Hussam S. Timani, eds. Work in progress.
- "Pluralism.” Muhammad in History, Thought and Culture: An Encyclopedic of the Prophet of God. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2013.
- “Saracens.” Muhammad in History, Thought and Culture: An Encyclopedic of the Prophet of God. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2013.
- “The Islamic Context of Global Jihadism: Why Ibn Taymiyya (d. 1328) Matters.” The Root of All Evil: Religious Perspectives on Terrorism, Terrorism Studies Series. Ed. Lori Underwood, 31-63. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2013.
- “Islam: Historical Setting.” The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Religion and Social Justice. Ed. Michael Palmerand Stanley Burgess. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- “Islamic Studies: Druze.” Oxford Bibliographies Online (OBO). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- “American Islam: “The Shaping of Muslim Identity in the United States.” Listening: Journal of Religion and Culture 45:2 (2010): 108-121.
- Gibbons, Jeffrey, Lee, Sherman, and Thompson, John. “The Islamophobia Scales: Instrument Development and Validation.” The International Journal of Religion and Psychology 19:2 (2009): 92-105.
- “Death and Dying in Islam.” Ultimate Journey: Death and Dying in the World’s Major Religions. Ed. Steven Rosen. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group, 2008.
- “Islamic Schools in America: Islam’s Vehicle to the Future?” Forum on Public Policy: A Journal of the Oxford Round Table (2006): 21.
- “The Role of Khariji Thought in Modern Arab Intellectual History.” Bulletin of the Royal Institute for Inter-Faith Studies 7:1 (2005): 143-167.
- “Turabi’s Islamic State in Theory and Practice.” The Journal of Associated Graduates in Near Eastern Studies. University of California, Berkeley, 9:2 (2003).
- “Reading Scriptures in the 21st Century: Negotiating the Qur’an.” To be presented at Sacred Texts and Human Contexts Symposium, Hickey Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue, Nazareth College of Rochester, Rochester, New York, June 23-25, 2013.
- “Modernity, Secularism, and the Exclusion of Nature: Why Religion Matters.” Virginia Humanities Conference (VHC), Christopher Newport University, Newport News, Virginia, March 15-16, 2013.
- “The Doctrine of Hijra (Migration) in Islam and Its Theological Implications.” American Academy of Religion meeting, Chicago, Illinois, November, 17-20, 2012.
- “Takfir in Classical Islamic Thought: The Khariji Ideology.” Invited paper. Takfir: a Diachronic Perspective, International Conference, Madrid, Spain, October 23-26, 2011.
- “Comparative Theology: Approaches to Religious Pluralism.” Virginia Humanities Conference (VHC), Bridgewater College, Bridgewater, Virginia, April 7-9, 2011.
- “Teaching the Qur’an in the Classroom: The Art of Translation.” American Academy of Religion Regional Conference, Louisville, Kentucky, March 4-6, 2011.
- “Women and Gender in Islam: A Feminist Approach.” Virginia Humanities Conference (VHC), Mary Baldwin College, Staunton, Virginia, March 25-27, 2010.
- “Teaching the Qur’an in the American Classroom.” Modern Language Association, Philadelphia, PA, December 27-30, 2009.
- “Rethinking Islam: The Road to Interfaith Dialogue.” American Academy of Religion Regional Meeting 2007, Nashville, Tennessee, March 16-18, 2007.
- “Teaching Feminist West Asian Literature.” Modern Language Association, Philadelphia, PA, December 27-30, 2006.
- “Muslim Schools in America: Islam’s Vehicle to the Future?” Oxford Round Table, Oxford University, Oxford, England, July 30-August 4, 2006.
- “The Kharijites in Western Historiography: The Art of Interpretation.” Middle East Studies Association, Washington, D.C., November 19-22, 2005.
- “The Concept of ‘Aql (The Intellect) in the Mu‘tazila and Druze Doctrines.” Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon, July 30, 2004.
- “Extremist Thought in Islam: The Case of Takfir wa Hijra Group.” Middle East Studies Association, Anchorage, Alaska, November 6-9, 2003.
- “Al-Mawardi's Ahkam al-Sultaniyya in Modern Islamic Discourse.” Middle East Studies Association, Washington, D.C., November 24-26, 2002.
- “The Structure of Sectarian Power Elite in Lebanon.” Middle East Studies Association, San Francisco, California, November 17-20, 2001.
- “The Khawarij in Arab-Muslim Historiography.” Middle East Studies Association, Orlando, Florida, November 16-19, 2000.
- “Religious and Secular Trends in Israel.” Middle East Studies Association, Washington, DC, November 20-22, 1999.
- “Al-Turabi’s Islamic State in Theory and Practice.” Middle East Studies Association, Chicago, Illinois, December 3-6, 1998.
- “From Sufism to ‘Orthodoxy:’ The Case of al-Ghazali.” Middle East Studies Association, San Francisco, California, November 22-24, 1997.