To begin your class registration process, please go to CNU Connect. When you log in, your user name is your student ID number and your password is set by you.
- The first time you log in to CNU Live, use your birthdate in MMDDYY format as your password. You will be instructed to change your password. Enter a new password of your choice consisting of eight or more characters using at least two of the following: alpha, numeric, or symbols. Again, DO NOT ENTER YOUR ALTERNATE PIN. Retype your new login password to confirm. Remember this password for future access to your account.
- Click on ‘Change Security Question.’ Type in a case sensitive security question and answer for use with the ‘Forgot Password’ option to verify your identity. This is a mandatory requirement; provide a question/answer that uniquely identifies you as the authorized account user. This should NOT be tied to your password (Example -- Q: “favorite author” A: “Shakespeare”).
- Click on ‘Student Services & Financial Aid.’
- Click on ‘Registration’ and then click on ‘Select Term’ and choose the term you would like to register for from the drop-down box. You must make sure you select the term you would like to register for prior to clicking add/drop classes.
- You will be prompted to enter your ‘Alternate PIN’ (registration PIN). A new ‘Alternate PIN’ is assigned each semester by your academic advisor. Note: Your ‘Alternate PIN’ is never used to log into CNU Live.
- What you can do now...
- Look Up Classes to Add: You can look up classes to add by subject, course number, day/time, or instructor.
- Add/Drop Classes: If you know the CRN (course reference number) of the course you want, you can go directly to the registration worksheet.
- Schedule of Classes with Course Information: Click on the course to view the prerequisites or co-requisites and to make sure you have met all of the requirements for the course. If you have not met those requirements, you will not be allowed to register for that course online. You can ask for special permission from the instructor to register for a course in which you do not meet the prerequisites and/or co-requisites. Just bring a signed (by the instructor) Add/Drop form to the Office of the Registrar. Please ensure that you have obtained the instructor’s permission on the line labeled "Special Permission Course."
You are encouraged to register for a minimum of 12 semester hours to maintain full-time status. Note that full-time enrollment is required for financial aid purposes, participation in intercollegiate athletics, and to reside in university residence halls.
What is "Complete Documentation?"
For the protection of our students and the university community CNU's immunization policy, following national guidelines and Virginia law, requires that all entering full-time students submit a completed Certificate of Immunization to the Office of the Registrar. The intent of this policy is to provide a healthy environment for our students in which they can live and learn. We are particularly concerned at this time because of the recent outbreak of mumps on college campuses. If there are errors or incomplete records on students' paperwork, the Office of the Registrar will contact those students via mail, phone, and/or email.
In the past, there has been some confusion about satisfying this policy. To comply with state policy, students must provide a completed Certificate of Immunization form, have it signed by a licensed health professional, and submit it to the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible. Students who have not submitted their completed paperwork by the beginning of the next semester (fall) may not be eligible for enrollment until the paperwork has been submitted. Please be reminded that incomplete forms do not satisfy the state’s requirement.
Immunization Requirement (based on national guidelines and Virginia Law)
A Certificate of Immunization form, detailing immunization requirements and including a Tuberculosis Screening Form, must be completed and signed/stamped by a licensed health care professional. Students are required to receive the Meningococcal vaccine OR sign and submit a Meningococcal Waiver form to the Office of the Registrar for their file to be complete.
I have a religious or medical exemption:
- Submit a Commonwealth of Virginia Certificate of Religious Exemption
- Sign the medical provision at the bottom of the Certificate of Immunization form
- If you currently have a religious or medical exemption, you have an option of receiving a blood test ("titer") which measures mumps antibody levels, and can determine whether you are immune to mumps.
What is YOUR Documentation Status?
Use these guidelines to determine your status:
- If you received a letter or email from the Office of the Registrar -or-
- You have a block on your class registration
- Then you have not met the University and Virginia State law requirements, for one of the following reasons:
- You have not submitted your Certificate of Immunization form
- You have an incomplete record
Why did I receive notification that my form is not on file or that my form is incomplete?I have not turned in my immunization record:
- Contact the Office of the Registrar if you have not submitted your immunization record, or if your record is not complete (missing vaccinations, waivers, exemption documentation, or not signed by a licensed health care professional).
- All Christopher Newport University students must obtain their required immunizations, as stated by Virginia state law, and all students are required to turn in their completed Certificate of Immunization to the Office of the Registrar no later the beginning of fall semester. Students who do not meet the Virginia state law and University requirements will have a block put on their registration by the University until they meet the requirements.
To have the registration hold or warning removed:
a. Obtain a copy of your immunization record from your health care professional
b. Complete a Certificate of Immunization form
c. Submit your signed documentation to the Office of the Registrar
I have not received one or all of my vaccinations:
- All CNU students must obtain their required immunizations, as stated by Virginia state law and University policy, and all students are required to turn in their completed signed documentation form to the Office of the Registrar no later than the beginning of fall semester. Students missing one or all of their vaccinations are highly encouraged to turn in what has been obtained, as it becomes available, and their record will be held as 'pending' until all of the required information has been submitted.
Bring to: Office of the Registrar | Admin 205 | 8 a.m.-5 p.m. | M-F
Mail to: Christopher Newport University | Attn: Registrar/Immunization | 1 Avenue of the Arts | Newport News, VA 23606
Fax to: (757) 594-7711