The Office of Student Activities will advise and assist student organizations funded through Student Activities in planning and conducting events as appropriate and will coordinate the use of university space and / or services for the events with the Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences. Student organizations may sponsor activities on campus without additional approval when these events are open only to the organization’s membership and invited guests. Approval of events must be obtained from the Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences when the event is open to non-members, when an admission fee is charged, or a contribution is solicited.

Please consult the Student Organization Handbook for all policies and procedures related to events, event scheduling and pre and post event responsibilities.

The staff in the Office of Scheduling, Event & Conferences will be happy to assist you in choosing just the right space. Here are a few answers to some commonly asked questions that might help you begin the process of choosing just the right place to accommodate your guests and your budget.

For more information and to make your reservation, please contact Alicia Brown.

What types of rental space are available?
We have a ballroom, 2 banquet rooms, 4 conference rooms, the Gaines Theater, classrooms, and several computer labs.

What is the maximum capacity of each space?
Available spaces vary in size. We have spaces available that will accommodate as little as 20 people and as many as 530.

What kind of equipment can the university provide?
We have a large variety of audio visual equipment including: televisions, VCRs, overhead projectors, slide projectors, podiums with attached microphones, tri-pods, flipcharts, and much more. We also can provide your event with several seating configurations based on your needs. We have long buffet tables, round dining tables, square registration tables, or theatre seating.

Can I bring in refreshments or other food for my event?
Food or beverages are not to be brought into the David Student Union for any scheduled / reserved event. However, CNU has an extraordinary catering service that provides an exquisite variety of light fare and full-course fine dining to suit any occasion.

What are the rental rates?
We have a standard room rental fee based on a 4 hour usage period for each individual space. If the space is needed more than 4 hours, an hourly rate will be pro-rated. All our rental rates can be found here.

When is the rental payment due?
You will receive an invoice from the University Business Office which must be paid at least 48 hours prior to your event. (We will assist you in completing the reservation contract. You will be given a copy for your records.)

back to top

Request to Use Facilities

Use of a facility must be scheduled and approved prior to the event. Requests for large events  must be made at a minimum of 30 days prior to the requested day. Requests for weekly meetings, etc, must be made no later than 72 hours prior to the requested date.  All requests for use of any facilities must be made through the Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences.

Request for Event Approval

Events to be held at any and all locations, owned, leased or operated by Christopher Newport University must receive approval from the University. The sponsor of the event must reserve space to hold the event. Request for space also serves as a request to hold the event.  Confirmation of space implies that the event has been approved. If additional information or approval is needed, the Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences will request such before confirmation is given. Events are not approved unless the sponsor has received written confirmation. 

All events must have a sponsor from the university.  The sponsor may be a student organization, a university department or a university-affiliated organization.  Non-university groups or organizations must have a university sponsor to hold an event. An event that is co-sponsored with, or otherwise involves, an external group not affiliated with the University requires the submission of a written justification that demonstrates a clear connection between the event and the University-affiliated sponsor. The primary contact with the university regarding logistical support of the event will be a representative from the on-campus group. 

All requests for the use of university space by university-affiliated organizations, students, faculty or staff  must be submitted through the Event Management System (EMS).  At a minimum, the following information is required:  the name of the event(s), name of the responsible individual(s), place of the event(s), date(s), time(s) and whether the event is open to the public or is a closed event. 

Online reservations are available at:  For more information and to make your reservation, please contact Alicia Brown.

All activities must be registered with the Office of Scheduling, Events & Conferences well in advance. Major activities MUST be registered and approved two weeks in advance. Major events with alcohol require a minimum of 30 days prior registration.

General Rules for Events and Use of University Facilities
  • Users of the facilities must comply with all applicable health and safety regulations.The University and the Commonwealth of Virginia cannot assume liability for possible injury to persons or property resulting from use of a facility or an event.
  • Non-university organizations or individuals must comply with the University's requirements for insurance coverage as included in the Facility Use Agreement.
  • The University's Alcohol Policy regulates the possession and use of alcoholic beverages.
  • The University's Catering Policy regulates the possession and use of food and beverages.
  • All trash and equipment utilized during the activity must be removed. Sponsoring organizations will be charged actual costs of repair and restoration caused by events or activities.
  • Activities must be situated such as to not impede or block the normal flow of traffic.
  • Vehicles must remain on roadways and park only where legally permitted.
  • Events planned between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 6 p.m. on Friday in and around academic buildings will not be approved for amplified sound.
  • Except for first priority activities, no individual or organization should schedule events exceeding a total of ten hours per week or schedule more than three events per week. Requests for exceptions to this requirement must be submitted through the Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences at least 30 days in advance of the time period for which the exception is requested.
  • Events involving the use of special equipment or requiring construction such as tents, bonfires, pyrotechnical devices or other devices that may pose a danger to life, limb or property may require permits from local or state officials.All such proposed activities or uses must be made known at the time of application to the Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences.The Office of Scheduling, Events and Conferences will provide guidance on obtaining the appropriate permits.The permits must be obtained prior to the scheduling of the event.
  • Events for non-University organizations or groups must be attended for the duration of the event by a designated representative from both the on-campus sponsor and the external group(s).
Cancellation of Events

Students, faculty, staff and university-affiliated organizations that cancel more than four (4) events during an academic term will lose the right to reserve space for the remainder of that term.

Non-university groups, organizations and individuals will forfeit all deposits if the following terms are not met:
  • A thirty (30) day notice is required for the cancellation of an event scheduled to be held between August 16 and May 14.
  • A sixty (60) day notice is required for the cancellation of an event scheduled to be held between May 15 and August 15.
back to top