While attending CNU, Veterans Affairs will serve as your liaison to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. We will assist you in the process of using your VA entitlement, to include processing of VA forms, adhering to procedural requirements and certifying enrollment. Let us help you get started with our VA Information Sheet.

Military Personnel:
Military Dependents:

Continuing or Transferring Benefits:

  • Continuing Benefits: Each semester, you will need to submit a Veteran Student Clearance Form  to the Office of the Registrar. The University's certifying official will review your information and submit an Enrollment Certification for processing and payment. Initial certifications during fall and spring will take place at least 4 - 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
  • Transferring Benefits: If you wish to transfer your benefits from another college or university, you will need to
    • military personnel - complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training and submit to the Office of the Registrar along with a member copy of your DD-214.
    • military dependents - complete VA Form 22-5495, Dependents Request for Change of Program or Place of Training and submit to the Office of the Registrar along with a member copy of your birth certificate or marriage certificate.

back to top

The Post-9/11 GI-Bill®
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. More information.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. More information.

The VA may assign you a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. If not, the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor for CNU is Vanessa Starks. You can reach Vanessa at 757-441-6762, ext. 26. Other counselors are Richard Swett at 757-441-6762, ext.18, and Ira Tillem at 757-441-6762, ext.12.

Your VA representative will send us your VA Form 28-1905, Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status at the start of each semester. You will need to submit a Veteran Student Clearance Card. Our office will then confirm your enrollment status and forward it to them on your behalf.

College Fund (MGIB “Kicker”)
You may receive College Fund money (also referred to as a “kicker”) if your branch of service awarded you the College Fund when you entered active duty. Eligibility for the College Fund is based on having a critical occupational specialty. Generally, the service’s recruiters sign up individuals for the College Fund. Important: You don’t receive your College Fund in one lump-sum payment. Your total College Fund is divided into monthly payments that are added to your basic MGIB rate and is pro-rated for part-time training. You can’t receive your College Fund money without receiving MGIB. The College Fund isn’t a separate benefit, but an add-on, or “kicker,” to your MGIB benefit.

Tuition Assistance Top-up
On October 30, 2000, the President signed into law an amendment to the Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty education program that permits VA to pay a Tuition Assistance Top-up benefit. The amount of the benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course.

To be eligible for the Top-up benefit, the person must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits. To be eligible for MGIB benefits, the person must be an MGIB-Active Duty participant and must have served at least two full years on Active Duty. More information.

Student Work-Study Allowance Program
The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®--(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants--(not applicable to anyone not
    enrolled in school as of November 24, 2015, or during their school’s
    last term, quarter, or semester ending prior to that date.)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program -- (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

back to top

Beginning with Fall Semester 2014, entering students and current students with prior service in the Armed Forces of the United States may present the Joint Services Transcript or other official credentials to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation.  The American Council on Education Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services will be utilized in the review and determination of course equivalents; however, the ACE Guide recommendations will not automatically apply.  Although equivalencies to CNU courses rarely exist, in cases where a comparable course does exist, credit may be awarded to the student and recorded as part of the student’s official academic record. 

Students may also earn credit for coursework completed at the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).  Such coursework is reviewed based on the official credential presented and credit may be awarded depending on the existence of a comparable CNU course and whether a minimum score equivalent to a grade of ‘C’ or better has been earned. 

With the exception of the portfolio accompanying certain Advanced Placement scores, Christopher Newport University does not typically award credit based on the presentation of a student portfolio.

Military Transcripts
To receive your military transcript(s), please visit  American Council on Education website.

Contacts at Christopher Newport University

Office of the University Registrar
Attn:  Anna Menzies Lewis
1 Avenue of the Arts
Newport News, VA  23606
Phone:  (757) 594-7274 or (757) 594-7155
Fax:  (757) 594-7711
Email: vetaffrs@cnu.edu

Contacts at the Department of Veteran Affairs

Department of Veteran Affairs
Buffalo Regional Office
PO Box 4616
Buffalo, NY  14240-4616
Phone:  1-888-442-4551

CNU's Vocational Rehabilitation Representative

Department of Veteran Affairs
Attn: Vanessa Starks
5200 W. Mercury Blvd., Ste. 295
Hampton, VA 23605
Phone:   757-441-6762 ext. 26
Fax:   757-441-3783 

Richard Swett
Phone: 757-441-6762, ext. 18

Ira Tillem
Phone: 757-441-6762, ext. 12