Frequently Asked Questions - Living on Campus - Christopher Newport University

Living on Campus

Frequently Asked Questions

New students will be prompted to log in to the Admitted Student System in March to complete the housing module. First-, second- and third-year students are required to live on campus (unless exempted) and are guaranteed housing.

Transfer students are not required to live on campus and are not guaranteed housing. Students who have left campus or who live off campus and wish to return to on-campus housing can submit a new upper-class contract acceptance form.

The deadline to apply for housing for spring transfer students is December 1; for fall transfer students, the deadline is July 1.

New incoming students are not required to pay a housing deposit.

The room and board rates are set at the end of April by the Board of Visitors. Room rates include the cost for Internet service, utilities, furniture and routine maintenance service. Board rates vary depending on which meal plan you choose. Freshmen must have either a 14- or Unlimited meal plan.

New students can view room assignments via CNU Live in late July for the fall semester and early January for the spring semester.

Traditional first-year students will be assigned a room in either Potomac River Hall North, Santoro Hall or York River Hall.

Transfer students are not guaranteed on-campus housing. Those classified as upper-class students (students who are 21 by September 1 of the fall semester) may live in James River Hall, Rappahannock River Hall, CNU Apartments or CNU Village, depending on availability.

Transfer students classified as second-year students (under the age of 21) may be placed in Warwick River Hall, James River Hall or Potomac River Hall South, depending on availability.

You may request a specific roommate and we will do our best to honor those requests; however, Learning Communities (LCs) are our top priority when it comes to room assignments.

The positive effect of LCs on students success is well documented, especially during the first year. All students will live with or near their LC in the residence halls.

Roommates and suitemates will discuss and sign a roommate agreement with guidance from their assigned resident assistant. The document discusses lifestyle habits and how to successfully live and learn together in a shared space.

During the spring semester of your first year on campus, you will have the opportunity to participate in room selection. During room selection, you will form your own roommate groups and select your housing for the following academic year.

In order to loft your bed, you must complete a bed loft request form and return it to us. Housing staff will install lofts after move-in. There are a limited number of loft kits available, and requests are fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a $150 charge for a loft kit.

First-year residence halls are suite-style units featuring primarily two-person bedrooms with an attached bathroom that is connected to another double room. Some first-year students are housed in suites that also include a common room.

First, second and third-year students are required to live on campus and are guaranteed housing. Fourth-year students are not guaranteed housing, but can request on-campus housing during the housing selection process. Transfer students are not required to live on campus and are not guaranteed housing.

Students living on campus or participating in a study abroad program during the spring semester will have access to room selection. Selection starts in February and there are multiple phases from contact signing and forming roommate groups to selecting rooms and meal plans. Information on room selection is emailed to each eligible student’s university email address and is available by contacting

Yes, summer housing options are available for students taking classes, in research programs, or approved internships, through University Housing. Email for more information.

Summer housing options are also available for groups and conferences through Scheduling, Events and Conferences.

A typical room has two Internet connections. Wi-Fi is available throughout campus.

Cable service has been discontinued effective June 30, 2023.

Each room includes a bed, desk, desk chair and extra-long mattress (80” x 30”) per resident. Some rooms have wardrobes with built-in dressers, some have wardrobes and dressers, and some have closets with additional dressers.

Your campus mailing address will be as follows:

Your Name
1000 University Place
Student Union
Mailbox No.
Newport News, Virginia 23606

You will be assigned a mailbox number prior to your arrival on campus and will keep the same mailbox as long as you live on campus. You can pick up your mailbox key at the student mailroom on the second floor of the David Student Union.

Fall semester room changes can be made after the first two weeks of classes until the end of October. Spring semester room changes can be made after the first two weeks of classes until the end of March.

Submit a completed dining plan plan agreement form to from your University email address, or in person at the Office of University Housing. The deadline to change your dining plan is by 9 am Friday of the first week of classes each semester.

Services are available for students with disabilities. Contact the dean of students for more information.

Moving into a new space is part of the transition in college. We provide a wide range of amenities and comforts to make this your home away from home. A list of the specific amenities for each residence hall is available under Residence Halls.

Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms/apartments and suite/private bathrooms. Residential housing support staff clean hallways, stairwells, lounges, common areas, public restrooms and laundry rooms. All personal trash must be tied up in trash bags and put in public indoor trash rooms or taken directly to an outside dumpster.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides monthly benefits to supplement the purchase of food. Eligibility for SNAP is based on financial and nonfinancial criteria, and students may be eligible if they meet certain criteria.

A student who is enrolled at least half-time at Christopher Newport and is actively participating in the Federal Work Study Program during the regular school year may be eligible to apply for SNAP benefits.

Eligible students can use SNAP benefits to buy food through an EBT card (which can be used like a debit card at qualifying retailers). SNAP can be used to buy food at supermarkets, local grocery stores, corner stores, farmer’s markets, and online.

Check your eligibility and apply:

  • Online at
  •  By phone at 1-855-635-4370
  • In person at the local department of social services (Newport News Department of Human Services, 6060 Jefferson Ave., Newport News, VA 23605)
quick edit report a problem