Your browser does not support JavaScript! My Evening at PLAN: Zero Waste - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Brooklyn Carroll

My Evening at PLAN: Zero Waste

by Brooklyn Carroll

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Student Life

You know when the people on your campus are really passionate about learning when students attend an educational speaker event at 8 p.m. on a Saturday night. It’s one thing for students to go to such an event during the lunch hour when there is free pizza, which, yes, is a common occurrence. It is a whole new ball game to attend an educational event on a Saturday night when we could instead be hanging out with friends or more importantly, sleeping. Call us crazy, but we enjoy learning. All thanks goes to CAB, the Campus Activities Board, for making educational events, such as the “PLAN: Zero Waste” speaker event, an interesting alternative to the typical Saturday night.

PLAN, the Post-Landfill Action Network, is a group of environmentally minded people who believe college students have the capacity to change our society’s wasteful way of living. The issue is that we often lack the skills to lead such change. That’s where PLAN steps in. PLAN’s mission is to educate and inspire college students across the country to find and implement solutions to reduce waste in our communities.

I am very grateful my friend invited me to attend this speaker event with her. I was hesitant at first because, you know, it was a Saturday night, but Chris Kane, the event speaker, shared with us extremely inspiring ideas to minimize harmful waste on campus. He was one of the most enthusiastic speakers I have ever heard, and he had raffle prizes for us! Every college student loves free things! While there are plenty of other ways that I could have spent my Saturday night, I have no regrets spending it learning about sustainability with PLAN.

Report a problem
Version 3.4