Your browser does not support JavaScript! Grocery Shopping is a Breeze - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Brooklyn Carroll

Grocery Shopping is a Breeze

by Brooklyn Carroll

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Off-Campus, Student Life

When I was touring college campuses with my mom and dad, we were looking for a school that had a strong academic focus, comfortable living facilities and a sense of community. Christopher Newport certainly met those criteria. Another checkbox that Christopher Newport checked off is the campus’s proximity to grocery stores. The convenience of having a grocery store right around the corner comes in handy for upperclassmen who can lower their meal plans and cook in fully equipped kitchens in their apartments. Now that I have been living on campus for four years, I am grateful that I have easy access to food, especially for my late night munchies.

Within walking distance of main campus, approximately a five-minute walk, is both Harris Teeter and Food Lion. Food Lion is perfect for averagely priced food items and snacks. I tend to shop there when I am trying to save money. Harris Teeter, while more expensive, is a popular place for Christopher Newport students to shop for groceries, especially since it is open 24 hours a day. One night a year they hold a College Night when half of the store is on a huge clearance and there is a DJ playing music just for us Captains! Harris Teeter also has a college rewards program that is super easy to sign up for, and you get a small discount off of every purchase.

For those students who have a car on campus, just down the road is both a Lidl and an Aldi. Their produce is fresh, as are their meats, and their prices are outstanding. Even Walmart could not beat their prices! I buy all of my meat from Lidl and too often find myself buying from their bakery or buying imported chocolate from Europe. Very delicious! With so many groceries stores around campus, you are sure to find all of the food you need, without any hassle.

It’s great to have all these options so close by, but it’s also comforting to know that our great dining halls are never more than a five-minute walk away!

Report a problem
Version 3.4