Your browser does not support JavaScript! Back from Break! - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Travis Rocha

Back from Break!

by Travis Rocha

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Student Life

Well, we did it, the big one: winter break. I’m always surprised at just how fast three weeks can fly by. For me, my time spent back home was a whirlwind of family and friends, hardly a second to spare. It was hectic, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

I’ve only been back at Christopher Newport a day and it’s already been a refreshing change of pace. Although yesterday I similarly scrambled around campus exchanging greetings and catching up with a cavalcade of different characters as I did back in my hometown, it still felt nice and familiar to be back on campus. Last night, we sat around the TV with my housemates and flipped between a few different games, laughing and sharing stories. Afterwards, we headed to Regattas for some much-missed food. I enjoyed a fajita paired with some vegetable soup and a Bavarian pretzel. I don’t think I’ll ever get over just how many different food options are available here. Lastly, we headed back to our house and invited lots of our friends over to hang out and watch a movie.

After a long break, everyone here comes back to campus with a new appreciation for what they missed. I’m always well aware of how amazing it is to have such easy access to great friends and food, but after going almost a month without them, I forgot just how much it all means to me. Coming back here honestly feels the same as going back to my hometown felt, exciting yet comforting. I don’t feel like I’m at a college, I feel like I’m home … even though I just left my home. I’m so happy to be a Captain and I can’t wait to see what this new semester has in store for me!

Report a problem
Version 3.4