Your browser does not support JavaScript! Our Panhellenic Community - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Isabel Contreras

Our Panhellenic Community

by Isabel Contreras

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Student Life

Formal sorority and fraternity recruitment just happened, and the campus was visibly excited in anticipation. Women, men and even professors love to discuss these festivities.

I remember distinctly the joy and nervousness I experienced as a freshman. I wasn’t totally sure if taking this Greek leap of faith would be the right decision for me but thankfully, with the support of not only my friends, but also my RA, professors and sisters I had met throughout the year, I came to realize that there were so many incredible opportunities to get involved on campus and this was the best way for me to kick-start that journey.

Every year during formal recruitment season I am reminded of the decision I made to become involved more fully on this campus. Soon after joining my organization, I became involved with undergraduate research, intramurals, different volunteer opportunities – and became more successful academically. 

Christopher Newport is unique for many reasons, one being the sense of community and camaraderie felt throughout the Greek organizations here. When I was a senior in high school completing a tour on this campus, I fell in love with the endless, kind smiles and promise of a home away from home. Now, each semester, each new leap of faith taken, I find yet another reason to fall in love with CNU, and I hope each of you reading will as well.

Report a problem
Version 3.4