Your browser does not support JavaScript! Rushing AKPsi - Life as a Captain - Christopher Newport University
Life as a Captain
Travis Rocha

Rushing AKPsi

by Travis Rocha

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Student Life

Alpha Kappa Psi is the oldest and largest professional co-ed business fraternity. At Christopher Newport, they have the Iota Pi chapter. A handful of my friends are involved in the fraternity and they have been encouraging me to join. Well, this week was rush week and I decided to give it a shot!

So far, I’ve only gone to one rush event, but I’m attending another one tonight. The info night that I went to was a PowerPoint presentation on the fraternity’s goals and values along with free refreshments and the opportunity to mingle with the brothers. It was extremely informative and allowed me to form a more clear picture of the organization I am considering joining. I had a lot of great conversations with the brothers and it was obvious to me that these people have all created very close bonds with one another while also in pursuit of professional success.

Alpha Kappa Psi is not a traditional fraternity as you might assume. Rather, its purpose is to educate its brotherhood on effective strategies to use in the business world through meaningful connections. There also is a huge emphasis on service and volunteering. At first, I was under the impression that only business majors could join, but all majors are welcome. As a communication and theater major, the brothers were still very excited and eager for me to apply to join.

Christopher Newport offers endless opportunities and opens infinite doors. Rush week is still ongoing, so I’m unsure if I’ll join Alpha Kappa Psi, but I’m having a great time rushing and meeting everyone! There’s never any shortage of things to do around Christopher Newport; there are always new avenues to explore to improve and better yourself.

Report a problem
Version 3.4