Your browser does not support JavaScript! Study Abroad - Financial Aid - Christopher Newport University
Skip navigation

Financial Aid

Study Abroad

Can I use my financial aid?

Your financial aid (except work study) can be used towards any CNU-approved study abroad program. This includes grants, scholarships, loans and other forms of aid. In order to use financial aid, you will work closely with both the Office of Study Abroad and the Office of Financial Aid to determine your eligibility.

Because the cost of study abroad programs is frequently higher than the cost of attending Christopher Newport, our office can increase your cost of attendance to help make additional funds, especially loan funds available. However, some students may find that federal and state financial aid is insufficient to cover all of the costs associated with their semester abroad. Students may wish to consider an alternative loan to help fill the gap between financial aid and their costs.

If you plan to study abroad over the summer, you have more than likely exhausted your federal and state financial aid for the academic year during the fall/spring semesters. Students participating in a summer abroad program may seek additional funds through the Federal Parent PLUS and/or private education loan programs.

What steps should I take?

All students planning to participate in a study abroad program should first contact the Office of Study Abroad and plan to attend a study abroad information session to learn more about funding options to finance your program. During your information session, the Office of Study Abroad will provide you with a Study Abroad Scholarship Application and a Consortium Agreement if you are planning to participate in an external program. If participating in an external program, a completed Consortium Agreement and Course Approval Form must be returned to the Office of Financial Aid before any aid will be disbursed.

NOTE: Students who wish to use their PLP or Honors Study Abroad Scholarship must return a Scholarship Application to the Office of Study Abroad by the program application deadline.

How will my financial aid be disbursed?

All financial aid will be disbursed to the student billing account just the same as if the student were attending a regular semester at Christopher Newport. Disbursements begin each semester after the student has begun their program and their eligibility has been confirmed. Students participating in an external program should plan accordingly. In most cases, the study abroad expenses for an external program must be paid in advance of receiving a financial aid disbursement. When aid is disbursed to the student account, students will be issued a refund in excess of any charges due. Students must be sure to select a method of refund with the Office of Student Accounts prior to traveling abroad.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Back to top
Report a problem
Version 3.4