International Freshman Admission

Visa Information

All international students must obtain either an F-1 student visa, or demonstrate that you currently have visa status that permits you to study in the U.S. If you require an F-1 visa, you must first apply and be accepted to Christopher Newport. Once accepted, you can begin the visa application process after receiving your Form I-20.

To receive your Form I-20 from Christopher Newport University, you must:

  • Accept your offer of admission and pay your $500 USD enrollment fee
  • Submit a copy of your passport’s biographical page
    • Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your date of entry
  • Submit a completed Financial Resources Statement (if not submitted previously)
    • Submit supporting documentation to verify your proof of funding on the Financial Resources Statement. This may include recent bank statements or affidavits, or an official award letter.

Your Form I-20 paperwork will then be mailed to your home address. Once this paperwork is issued, you will be registered in the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and can begin your visa application process. To obtain your F-1 visa, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and print a copy of your payment receipt.
  2. Complete the Visa Application Form DS-190 and print a copy of your confirmation page.
  3. Schedule a visa interview at your nearest U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate.
  4. Pay the visa application fee, if required, and print a copy of your receipt.
  5. Prepare all required documents for your visa interview, including all fee receipts and application confirmations, your passport, and Form I-20. You may also be required to bring your academic records, standardized test scores and your proof of funding documents.
  6. Attend your visa interview.

Your application may require further processing after your visa interview, and you may be required to pay an additional fee based on your nationality. Once your visa is approved, the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate will inform you how your passport and visa will be returned to you. After receiving your F-1 visa, you are permitted to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the start date of your program.

Please note: you do not need to apply to change your nonimmigrant status to attend a college or university in the U.S. if you are the child or spouse of someone who is currently in the U.S. on any of the following nonimmigrant visa categories:

  • A visa - diplomatic and other government officials
  • E visa - international trade and investors
  • G visa - representatives to international organizations and their employees
  • H visa - temporary workers
  • I visa - representatives of foreign media
  • J visa - exchange visitors
  • L visa - intracompany transferees
quick edit report a problem