Get Help Now - Sexual Assault and Violence Education - Christopher Newport University

Sexual Assault and Violence Education

Get Help Now

For immediate help, contact University Police at (757) 594–7777

Go somewhere safe

Your safety is our first priority. Contact the police immediately. Avoid showering, douching, brushing your teeth, eating or changing clothing in an effort to preserve physical evidence.

Preserving any evidence is important should you choose to report the assault to the police. If you do change clothes, put all clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault into a paper bag. You can return to your room, a friend’s place, your RA’s room – even a crowded, public place.

Call someone

Call the Title IX Coordinator, a trusted friend, a family member, RA, a trained counselor or a medical professional at University Health and Wellness or Riverside Regional Medical Center.

You may also call The Center for Sexual Assault Survivors 24-hour hotline at (757) 236-5260. They are able to provide an advocate to be with you when you speak with the police, or at the hospital.

Report the incident

You can choose to report the incident to the following offices on campus:

  • University Police – (757) 594-7777
  • Title IX & Equal Opportunity – (757) 594-8819

You are also able to contact police in your local area if the incident did not take place on or around campus.

Seek medical attention as soon as possible

It is important that you seek medical attention to be examined for injury, potential physical evidence, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy. Riverside Regional Medical Center has dedicated staff to respond to sexual assault.

Riverside Regional Medical Center
500 J Clyde Morris Blvd.
Newport News, Virginia
(757) 594-2000 or Emergency-Trauma Center (757) 594-2050

Should you go to the emergency room for treatment, you will be seen by a specially trained staff member who responds to sexual assault.

Going to the hospital to seek medical attention does not obligate you to report the incident or crime.

Seek support

Talking with a trusted friend, relative, RA or a trained counselor can assist you in taking care of yourself. The Office of Counseling Services has counselors trained in issues related to sexual assault and trauma and are available to provide confidential support.

All Christopher Newport employees (except medical staff in University Health & Wellness and counselors in the Office of Counseling Services) are designated as responsible employees, and are required to report any allegations of sexual misconduct, including sexual assault.

Off campus, confidential support can be found at The Center for Sexual Assault Survivors. They can be reached at (757) 599-9844, or on their. 24-hours crisis line at (757) 236-5260. They offer individual and group counseling as well as advocacy services for those in need.

quick edit report a problem